Disclosure: I am working on a part time, short term basis for TransForm on the Oakland Airport Connector campaign. However, the thoughts expressed in my posts on this subject are my own and should not be construed to be those of TransForm.
The more and more I write about, think about, and advocate against the Oakland Airport Connector (OAC), the more and more absurd it seems. And as I talk to people about it, it’s clear that I’m not the only one that feels that way.
But after a while, pulling your hair out and banging your head against the wall in an effort to figure out how anybody could support the OAC isn’t very productive. So TransForm and the coalition for a better connector has launched a contest to inspire creative criticism of this half-billion dollar bling-frastructure project and raise critical media attention as we go into the final phase to stop the proposed project and support a common sense solution this fall.
So let your creative juices and pent up frustration flow and send your entries to StopTheOAC@gmail.com by September 12th for the chance to win cash prizes:
- Best Image or Multimedia – $250 Prize
- Best Haiku – $100 Prize
For many more details on the contest and the top ten most ridiculous reasons to support this project, visit OaklandAirportConnector.com/Contest.
But first, let me explain one more reason this project makes no sense – it’s even less seamless than we had originally thought!
If you’ve ridden the AirBART bus, you know it’s a pretty simple connection to make. You 1) Walk down the escalator and 2) Exit the station to wait for and board the bus. Now, the way BART’s been hyping the OAC, you might have presumed that it would be even more seamless. Wrong! Check out the trip from the Colisueum BART station to the OAC:
And this doesn’t even take into account the trip down another escalator and across a parking lot and lanes of traffic once you reach the airport!
I look forward to seeing your haiku, image, and multimedia entries that put a creative spin on why we must stop the OAC. Check out the first few entries at OaklandAirportConnector.com/Contest for more inspiration.
(And if you haven’t yet signed the petition to stop the OAC, please sign it now! We’ve passed 400 signatures and are aiming for 500.)
Previous posts on the Oakland Airport Connector:
- 8/11/09: Sign the Petition: Stop the Oakland Airport Connector – Demand a Better Connector!
- 7/21/09: Transportation Day of Action in Oakland Tomorrow!
- 7/17/09: Oakland Public Works Committee strongly questions Oakland Airport Connector
- 6/29/09: It’s time for the City Council to weigh in on the Oakland Airport Connector
- 6/16/09: Don Perata on Oakland Airport Connector: “Too much money for too little transit”
- 5/29/09: Oakland Airport Connector now in the hands of the Port Commission
- 5/13/09: BART staff coordinate Oakland Airport Connector astroturf campaign
- 5/8/09: Take Action: Turn Oakland Airport Connector into RapidBART
- 4/27/09: Advocates secure temporary win on the Oakland Airport Connector
- 4/22/09: BART’s brilliant plant for financing the Oakland Airport Connector
- 2/23/09: Protect Bay Area Transit: Stop MTC from Wasting Stimulus Funds