I’ve been having an extremely stressful week, but luckily there have been some nice moments too. Just wanted to share some of the Oakland things that have made me smile:
- The sunshine in downtown Oakland. When I walked from the bus on Monday morning, I couldn’t take my eyes off the beautiful architecture surrounding me and thought about just how magnificent all the buildings look basked in the morning sunlight. Sometimes I think I live in the most beautiful city.
- The dialogue at A Better Oakland between V Smoothe and dto510 about earthquakes. I know the post had a serious message, but it made me laugh too, since I’ve had this same argument with non-California natives dozens of times.
- Chris Peeples sitting through the entire East Bay Young Democrats endorsement meeting. He was the only candidate who’s not a member of EBYD who sat through the whole meeting, listening to the speeches of other candidates and helpfully weighing in on questions about Berkeley’s Measure KK and BRT. I was already going to vote for him for the at large seat on the AC Transit Board of Directors, but his presence at this meeting made me have even more respect for him.
- Listening to Mistah FAB’s “If ‘If’ Was a 5th”, especially the opening line: “What if there was a black president.” Considering the recent polling and the near implosion of the McCain-Palin campaign, I think we’ll soon find out the answer to that question.
- The car driver who waved me through the crosswalk. Yesterday, as I crossed Webster and 14th on my way to work, a women was about to make a left turn. She looked at me, smiled, and motioned for me to continue crossing. This seems like a small thing, but drivers cut me off at that intersection all the time so it brought a smile to my face.
I know it’s easy to feel down about Oakland sometimes, but sometimes the little things make me remember why I love this city so much. What about you – what made you smile this week?