Tomorrow, May 12th is Oakland’s annual Bike to Work Day, and even though I don’t bike to work (actually, I don’t bike at all in Oakland), I’m very excited about it. But I have a terrible confession to make – I’ve never taken part in any Bike to Work Day festivities. One year I was working, another year there was an Oakland Airport Connector hearing, and one year there was a conflicting event at night.
This year I’m ending that streak though and will be volunteering in the morning for the raffle at Frank Ogawa Plaza at 14th and Broadway. You should stop by and visit me, as we’ll be raffling off some awesome prizes! Here’s some of what will be going on in the Plaza:
- A pancake breakfast courtesy Piedmont Grocery, The Rotisserie Deli, Tully’s Coffee, & Whole Foods Market!
- All-Day Valet Bike Parking by the East Bay Bicycle Coalition
- Bike safety checks brought to you by Bay Area Bikes & Wheels of Justice Cyclery with help from The Bent Spoke and The Bikery (Cycles of Change)!
- Club One day passes (showers!)
- 15% discount coupons good at Oakland’s 16 bike shops during May in the goodie bags given to cyclists!
- AC Transit bus-bike rack loading demos
- Pedal Pools: rides downtown with Council members/staff and neighbors. Coordinated by Walk Oakland Bike Oakland. Get details on the Pedal Pool nearest you and plan your ride!
- A raffle with great prizes including round-trip tickets for two to Santa Barbara on Amtrak! Other great prizes include:
- round-trip tickets for two on the Capitol Corridor
- Club One City Center month-long memberships (2)
- BikeLink cards (10!), for electronic bicycle lockers (aka “eLockers”) Bay Area-wide
- a Rickshaw Bag (donated by Bay Area Bikes)
- a complimentary bike tune-up from The Bikery
- passes to the Oakland Museum of California
- a Bay Trail map packet
- $30 gift certificate from Pacific Coast Brewing Co.
- $30 gift certificate from The Trappist
- $25 gift certificate from The Actual Cafe
- $25 gift certificate from Commonwealth Cafe and Public House
- $25 gift certificate from The Lake Chalet
- $20 gift certificate from Homeroom, mac + cheese
- and more to come!
Walk Oakland Bike Oakland is organizing pedal pools in the morning, giving you the opportunity to bike to work with your councilmember. Join councilmember Jane Brunner (District 1), Pat Kernighan (District 2), Nancy Nadel (District 3), or Libby Schaaf (District 4) to ride to the Bike to Work Day festivities. Here’s the map of the routes:
Find out more about the pedal pools on WOBO’s website.
And if you’re not a morning person, don’t worry – there’s a Bike to Work Day Afterparty in Old Oakland from 5:30-8:30pm at 8th and Washington, featuring music, food, entertainment, beer, and (of course) bikes. Find out more and RSVP on Facebook.
I hope to see you tomorrow morning or evening to celebrate Bike to Work Day!