This will have to be a quick post, but I had to share this. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has written a letter to BART and the MTC stating it will withhold $70 million in stimulus funds from the Oakland Airport Connector (OAC) project because “BART failed to conduct an equity analysis for service and fare changes for the Project.”
This is what advocates argued all along but none of our local agencies listened. BART, MTC, ACTIA, the Port, and to a lesser extent, the Oakland City Council, all ignored our complaints and brushed them aside, but the FTA gets it.
BART is trying to spin this as a minor setback and is having a press conference right now with Larry Reid and others to try to convince the press that the OAC will move forward. But without federal funding, it can’t move forward.
So one of two things will happen:
1. BART will finally conduct equity studies and improve the project.
2. The OAC will die.
I couldn’t be much happier. Thanks to TransFo, Public Advocates, Urban Habitat, and Genesis for filing the initial Title VI civil rights complaint that led to this!
Previous posts on the Oakland Airport Connector:
- 12/9/09: Believe it or not, the final Oakland Airport Connector project is even worse than expected
- 11/17/09: Fight against Oakland Airport Connector leads to FTA civil rights investigation of BART
- 10/6/09: Breaking down the Chamber’s misinformation on the OAC
- 9/28/09: Stop the OAC: Urge the Oakland City Council to pass a resolution opposing this boondoggle
- 9/16/09: Oakland Public Works to BART: Oakland does have a stake in the OAC
- 8/11/09: Sign the Petition: Stop the Oakland Airport Connector – Demand a Better Connector!
- 7/21/09: Transportation Day of Action in Oakland Tomorrow!
- 7/17/09: Oakland Public Works Committee strongly questions Oakland Airport Connector
- 6/29/09: It’s time for the City Council to weigh in on the Oakland Airport Connector
- 6/16/09: Don Perata on Oakland Airport Connector: “Too much money for too little transit”
- 5/29/09: Oakland Airport Connector now in the hands of the Port Commission
- 5/13/09: BART staff coordinate Oakland Airport Connector astroturf campaign
- 5/8/09: Take Action: Turn Oakland Airport Connector into RapidBART
- 4/27/09: Advocates secure temporary win on the Oakland Airport Connector
- 4/22/09: BART’s brilliant plant for financing the Oakland Airport Connector
- 2/23/09: Protect Bay Area Transit: Stop MTC from Wasting Stimulus Funds